Thursday, October 11, 2012

Arsenal Ladies


Laura Harvey... Arsenal Ladies manager

'It was a goal worthy of winning any game'

on victory against her former club…
I’ve got a lot of friends at Birmingham. I was there for a long time and my time there is one of the reasons I am who I am today. Without them I definitely wouldn’t have got the job that I have. I owe a lot to them. They have quality and we knew tonight we had to come out and beat that, and thankfully we did.

on the rivalry…

Birmingham have proved tonight that they can play football but are also really hard to beat, and I think we’ve proved the same. We like to play football but we have grit and determination to see games out.

on winning another trophy…
Kim’s goal was a goal that was worthy of winning any football match. I think it was going to take something like that, because Birmingham’s back four and goalkeeper played really well tonight and made it difficult for us to get shots on goal. It was always going to take a bit of quality, and thankfully we got that.

on missed chances…
With about 10 minutes to go, I turned to Rehanne and said ‘we might have to start talking about the thing we don’t want to talk about’, which was extra time and penalties. Literally as I said it, Kim scored. Thankfully it didn’t get to that stage. Sometimes when you have the number of chances we did, you think ‘are we going to get another one?’ but to be honest Kim’s goal wasn’t even a chance, she created it herself.

on Emma Byrne’s first-half save…
That’s the quality we have throughout the squad. Emma’s a goalkeeper - one of the best in Europe. We’ve got an unbelievable centre forward and an attacking midfielder who can score goals like she did today. If you look at our squad, we’ve got quality running through it in every position and I thought everyone played their part tonight. The starting 11 and the girls that came off the bench, everyone did really well.

on a three-week break before the next game…
For Rehanne and me now, it’s about turning our attention to Potsdam in the Champions League and preparing for that. A lot of players go away on international duty, which helps in terms of them not losing their match fitness. The one thing they need at the minute is a time-out, and hopefully over the course of the next week or so they can do that. Come 10 days before we play Potsdam, we’ll start to prepare properly for what will be a very difficult fixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment